Before (or after) Thursday, come up with
a number of things to be
thankful for that is equal to the number of
Thanksgivings you have been
on the planet.
For me 51 – ouch!
I am thankful for (in no particular order, just as things pop in my head):
My Salvation – I have been saved by grace and I didn’t have to try to earn it
- My Redemption – Jesus took my punishment, the sinless One paid for my sins
- My Peace – The chastisement for my peace was upon Him… thanks to Jesus, I have peace that passes understanding, even in the midst of storms…
My Sorrow – He bore my sorrows so that I wouldn’t have to… I only need to cast all my cares on Him because He cares for me
- My Husband – He is the love of my life and a good and patient man
- My Son – He is my firstborn, and he has a mighty anointing on his life… he is called by God to do great and mighty things for His glory, and to lead multitudes to Christ
- My Daughter – She is my baby, and she too, has a mighty anointing on her life… she has such a loving spirit, and great wisdom… she’s not just my daughter, she has become my friend as well.
- My Daughter-In-Law – She is not just a daughter-in-law, she is like another daughter to me. When my son was just a boy, I began praying for the woman that he would marry, and the first time I met her, I knew that she was the answer to my prayers for my son. 🙂
- My Son-In-Law – He is another son to me and I really do love this young man. How could I not? He loves my daughter and their children, and I think that he would do almost anything for them.
- My Grandchildren – I currently have 7, but am expecting numbers 8 & 9 in 2013
- God’s Love – I am so thankful that I finally understand that He loves me with an everlasting love, a love that is unquenchable, a love that is not based on how good I am (because I fall far too short of His glory), a passionate love (He doesn’t just love me a little bit – He longs for me)
- My Church Family – They love me and accept me just as I am, praise God!
- My Home – I am so blessed to have a roof over my head
Prison Ministry – I am so blessed and honored that God chose me to minister to female inmates
- Dance Ministry – Though I haven’t been able to do it for a long time because of my back, I still enjoy watching others minister in dance, and I am hopeful that I will one day get to dance before the Lord again (this side of heaven) 🙂
- Music – I love music – it’s funny, because my kids and I can come up with a song for just about every situation or topic in life
- Mr. & Mrs. White – church bus ministers in the 1970’s, who used to pick me up on the church bus and take me to church, and no matter how bad I was, they loved me and prayed for me, and it was thanks to the foundation they laid, that I came to know Jesus
- Laughter – I love to laugh – what a great gift from God
Tears – for many years, I couldn’t cry, and I prayed for tears, and the Lord answered that prayer… tears are good, they are cleansing, and they are so precious to God that He keeps them in a bottle and has a written record of every tear I’ve cried
- Freedom – I’m thankful that I am free to write all of the things that I am thankful for, that I am free to sing, that I am free to preach the word of God, that I am free to go from one state to another, that I am free to enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
- Dirty Dishes – I’m doing dishes (yuck), but there are many people who probably dream of having a home and dishes, so I’m thankful for mine
- Laundry – a never-ending chore, but praise God! I have clothing, linens, and towels, while there are many who don’t, and some who have clothing but are not able to afford to wash them…
- Washer and Dryer – I am so thankful that I don’t have to go to the laundromat and pay exorbitant prices to clean my laundry.
- Indoor Plumbing – This may not be something many people think of nowadays, but as a child, I remember visiting relatives who did not have indoor plumbing, and I was terrified of the outhouse… And sadly, those affected by disasters such as Hurricane Sandy, and those in third world countries have to survive without it.
- Hurricane Sandy – This devastating hurricane was supposed to take a direct hit on Delaware, but the Lord spared us… and while it was certainly devastating to NJ and NY, I am thankful that not many lives were lost, because it could have been so much worse, but for God’s mercy.
- Electricity – I am so thankful that I have electricity so that I can see at night, cook, and do so many things that would not be possible without electricity.
- Heat – I am thankful that I am able to keep warm when it is cold.
- Air Conditioning – I am thankful that God chose to let me be born in this day and age, where I can come into the air conditioning if I get overheated.
- Weight Loss – Hallelujah! By God’s grace, I’ve lost 21 lbs since August… and by His grace, I will continue to lose weight.
- My Sister – Though we often struggle in communicating with one another, she is a good and generous woman and I love her more than she knows.
- Sunny Days – I am so thankful when the sun is shining brightly, and the skies are brilliant blue, and when the sun’s rays spread forth through the clouds, I am always in awe of what an awesome and creative God I serve.
- Cloudy Days – I love cloudy, foggy days too, as the clouds envelop the earth in a grayish, mysterious haze.
Rainy Days – I love the sound of raindrops as they bounce off windows and the roof, and I love to watch the rain watering the fields, crops, flowers, ground. How beautiful to see water falling from the sky in droplets or soaking downpours.
- Thunder – I love the sound of thunder as it rolls across the sky, sometimes rolling softly at first, then louder and louder, and sometimes crackling. I also especially love when it makes a loud crashing sound… ok – so I like noise. 🙂
- Lightning – I love watching the lightning… I love it when gently flashes, briefly lighting the sky from a distance… I love watching it streak in bolts across the sky, imagining that God is throwing His spear of lightning… and I love when it flashes brightly, lighting up a dark cloudy night sky and for an instant, making things as bright as day.
- Rainbows – I am so thankful when I see a rainbow, and sometimes, when I’m blessed to see a double rainbow, always remembering God’s promise to never again destroy the entire earth with floods…
- Covenant – I am thankful that God’s vows and promises to us will be fulfilled, and I am thankful for the covenant vows that He has already fulfilled…
- Moon – I love moonlit nights… I love the crescent moon, the half-moon, the full moon, and all the other stages in between… My grandchildren love to look at the moon too.
- Stars – I’m thankful for starlit nights with all of the constellations twinkling and shining, brightening our way.
- Good Times – I am so thankful for all of the good times I’ve had in my life… the day I got married… when our first child was born… when our second child was born… when my children graduated… when they married… when each grandchild was born… too many to list, but so many good times and memories – thank You Lord!
- Bad Times – I’m thankful for all of the bad times in my life… times of pain… times of anger… times of disappointment… the bad times helped to shape me and mold me into the woman I am today, and those bad times also help me to have a greater appreciation for the good times.
- Friends – Though I don’t have a lot of friends, the Lord has blessed me with a few very good friends who love me in good times and in bad times. I am thankful for every friend He has given me and I pray He blesses each one.
- Technology – I’m a geek at heart. I am so thankful for technology such as computers, cell phones, televisions… all those things which can and should be used for good, to enhance our lives and the lives of others.
Pain – I am thankful for the pain that I suffer, because it helps me to really appreciate the days when I don’t hurt… the pain helps me to empathize with others who are hurting, both physically and emotionally… the pain also reminds me that I am not paralyzed, and that I am indeed alive, and so, I am thankful for it.
- Transportation – I am thankful for planes, trains and automobiles… thankful that though my children are far away from me, we don’t live in the days of the horse and buggy, so we can drive, ride or fly to see them.
- Ice Cream – Ok – I haven’t had any in a long, long time, but it just popped into my head, and so I have to say, I really, really like ice cream, and I am thankful to those who first created it, and to God, who obviously gave them that brilliant idea… I wonder what ice cream will be like in the Kingdom of God?
- Guinea Pigs – We have two of them – Sparkle Cupcake and Flower – and who knew? Guinea Pigs have lots of personality and are lots of fun… They squeak when they hear or see you go to the refrigerator, to remind you that they are here and they are hungry (always)… When my husband comes in from the outside, they will often greet him with squeals of joy and excitement… And on a couple of occasions, they have actually sung like birds, quite beautifully. I even thought there was a bird in our chimney at first, till I looked and saw that it was Flower who was singing.
- Air – I am thankful for the air I breathe, and to God, who supplies each breath.
- Chocolate – yes, I am thankful for chocolate… the darker the chocolate, the better, although I also like milk chocolate… chocolate sauce, chocolate pie, chocolate cake, brownies, chocolate chips… yes, I am so thankful for chocolate.
The Bible – I love reading a good book, poems, and blog posts, but I am especially thankful for the Bible, which is the God-breathed word of God. I am thankful for every book, word, and verse which comprises the Bible, which is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword… I am so thankful that when I read it, God speaks to me.
- The Thankful Project – I am thankful for this thankful project, which caused me to sit down and really think of all of the things that I am thankful for. Thank You Lord, for all that You have given me and blessed me with, and thank You for letting me pause and really take stock of all that I am thankful for.
Hallelujah! What are you thankful for?